Loading

February 9, 2011

RE: IMPOSSIBLE.....

merrick.  i'd rather you not bow to me.  i know you say that it's with humility, but i find it a bit humiliating.  and perfection is a lot to live up to. i don't think i can bear that label.  it's too heavy a burden.

now 41 is a bit older than i'd like, and divorced is a bit of baggage i'd prefer not carry, but it's actually other things that make me think our puzzle might not get finished.  so i'm just going to take your profile and give you some tips:

first, quoting corinthians could turn some women away.  me for example.  if i need to go to "1st corinthians 13:1 - 13" in order to as you say, "know me and what i hope for," well, not only do i not have a bible to refer to, i don't really buy into the whole bible thing.  but even if i had one, i'd rather you just tell me about you and what you hope for instead of having to research it.

second, grammar is very important in making a good impression.  your disastrous annihilation of the english language really let me down.  for example, your first paragraph is full of punctuation errors: 

To know me and know who I hope for.....(improper use of ellipses)Go to 1st Corinthians 13:1 - 13 (consider using quotation marks when quoting something)Yeah I will give all that I am....(improper use of ellipses)My wealth(consider using spaces between all of these words)devotion,patience,understanding,unconditional love,lust for you(consider using a space here)and no other,(improper use of comma)....(improper use of ellipses)everything.....(improper use of ellipses)to "The One" who understands and believes in us(review this whole sentence for punctuation, it is quite a run-on sentence).

this paragraph really caught my attention, but not in a good way.  sadly it said to me, at the age of 41, he hasn't learned when you can bend the principles of grammar and when you can't. but then i find out it's not 41, but 45!

the final straw that broke the camel's back was this statement: "I'm actually 45, not 41. Silly site won't let me correct it on my profile."

ummmm... (proper use of ellipses) it's actually quite easy to change your age on this site.  you just put in your proper birthday.  go to profile, go to "about me" and it's right there, date of birth.  put it the right one with the right year and bam!  your age is changed.

if you are so easily stumped, well, stick to faith.  it'll take you a lot farther.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty hard to take your disgust over grammar and punctuation so seriously when you never use capital letters, use incomplete sentences, and start sentences with "but" and "and".
The latter two, especially, are not really a big deal--especially not in modern casual English, but seeing as how you are so judgemental of others, you may want to hold yourself to a higher standard, so as not to come off as hypocritical.

matchmaker said...

oh, i am thoroughly aware of my shortcomings. and if you were able to see my actual match.com profile you would see this. it explains that i'm a writer and appreciate proper grammar, but that i don't use caps and i write fragments at times for emphasis, so i'm not always one to criticize. my google profile, unfortunately, is quite limited. as such, i was forced to condense. it is generally only the really stupid mistakes that i go after. improper spelling, "then and than," "except and accept," "your and you're"... sadly, in this case his profile read like one giant run on sentence because it had no spaces and only used ellipses as punctuation. to me that is truly ugly grammar in need of mention. well that and the fact that i didn't want to "go there" re the biblical nature of the message. (see? fragment for emphasis?)

Post a Comment